MESSAGE

Hattiesburg

First founded in 1892 as Pearl River Boarding School, in Poplarville, MS the institution that is now William Carey University was moved to Hattiesburg and opened in 1906 as South Mississippi College. Hattiesburg is home of the main campus.

Hattiesburg is known as the "Hub City" because it is located at the intersections of Interstate 59 and U.S. Highways 49, 98 and 11. The city is centrally located less than 100 miles from the state capital of Jackson, as well as the Gulf Coast, New Orleans and Mobile.

With a population of 50,000, Hattiesburg is the educational, retail and medical center for the southeast Mississippi region.

View Larger Map

Hattiesburg Campus Facilities

  • Bass Hall
    Bass Hall is a three-story building that accommodates 150 female residents. Built in 1963, the building has a large lounge and a resident manager’s suite. Interior renovation was completed in the summer of 1999, and exterior renovations were completed in 2006. Students gather in the large lobby for dorm related events and to watch television.
  • Bryant Hall
    Completed in 1966 and renovated in 1998, this building accommodates 110 male residents. It includes a large lounge area decorated in 2007 and students gather there to watch games on the large television.
  • Byrd Hall and Braswell Hall
    The first new residence halls in more than 40 years, Byrd Hall (women) and Braswell Hall (men) offer students amenities including free wireless internet, individualized climate control, microwave oven and refrigerator, free laundry access and several lounges. Constructed in 2007, they house 95 students each. Nicked named “The Hilton” by students, the amenities offered at Byrd and Braswell Halls offers students a quality living experience.
  • Campus Facilities Building
    This building houses the offices and equipment of the physical facilities department and was relocated to County Drive beside Milton Wheeler Field in 2010.
  • Chain Garden
    The Chain Garden is named in honor of former Hattiesburg Mayor Bobby Chain and his wife Betty and is a memorial to their parents and Mr. Chain’s sister. In 2006, the garden was completely renovated by the Chain family and now includes a six foot bronze statue entitled “The Risen Christ.” Commissioned in Italy, the sculpted bronze features Biblical scripture surrounding the base, and a memorial plaque honoring the late president Dr. Larry Kennedy.
  • Clinton Gymnasium
    Constructed in 1961, this building includes a gymnasium, offices, locker rooms, and a large physical education classroom. In 2006, interior renovations were completed to include new office space and new heating and air conditioning systems; also, updated exterior renovations occurred. Home to the Crusader men’s and women’s basketball teams, the gym boosts a new wood floor.
  • Common Grounds
    Created in 1997 from a former carriage house, this facility houses a student-operated coffee house. Students gather here to enjoy specialty coffee drinks, study, play Guitar Hero and other video games, watch television and study. The large outside deck is used for picnics and barbeques.
  • Crawford Hall
    This eight-room structure constructed in 1936 serves as the offices and activities center for the Baptist Student Union. Exterior renovation was completed in 2006. Students gather at Crawford Hall for prayer breakfasts and other BSU activities. One of the busiest buildings on campus, students are always coming and going from this building.
  • Donnell Hall
    Completed and dedicated on May 3, 2006, this facility houses the museum and research collection of the Center for Study of the Life and Work of William Carey, D.D. (1761-1834). Donnel Hall hosts an impressive collection of memorabilia from Carey’s life and times. Visitors to this unique museum can also use the internationally recognized web site.
  • Fail-Asbury Nursing Building
    This building was completed in 2002, with a building expansion in 2008, and contains faculty offices, classrooms, laboratory facilities and an auditorium seating over 100 for the Joseph and Nancy Fail School of Nursing. The skills lab contains contemporary medical equipment and a computer lab where students get a hands-on nursing experience in a safe learning environment.
  • Joseph and Nancy Fail Softball Field
    Constructed in 2007, this state of the art softball field features stadium seating, media and presidential boxes, and a quick-draining field. Fail Field is home to the first ranked conference and region Crusader softball team.
  • Fairchild Hall
    This 1970 facility houses the department of education. The building has office suites for faculty members, four classrooms, and a well equipped curriculum laboratory. These education classrooms are equipped with the latest educational resources.
  • Green Science Hall
    The one-story portion of Green Science Hall accommodates chemistry and physics curricula. The two-story section houses Ross Lecture Hall, student study and work areas, laboratories, offices, and classrooms for the departments of biology, mathematics, psychology, and social sciences. The building was constructed in 1958. A DNA Sequencing machine, made popular by television crime dramas, and other equipment including a state-of-the-art anatomical model are used.
  • Johnson and Ross Halls
    These twin buildings were constructed in 1919 and are among the original structures on the campus. In 1984 Johnson Hall was completely renovated and converted into apartments, accommodating up to 48 residents. In the summer of 1999, interior restoration of Johnson and Ross Halls was completed. Ross Hall accommodates approximately 60 female residents in suites with private bathrooms. New porches were added in 2004 with additional exterior renovations completed in 2006.
  • Larry W. Kennedy Sports Complex
    Dedicated in 2007, the complex includes the softball and baseball fields, soccer and intramural fields, and the Simmons Exercise Track.
  • Lawrence Hall
    Lawrence Hall, built in 1954, provides offices, classrooms and conference space for the Owen and Elizabeth Cooper School of Missions and Biblical Studies, student government association, student life, and student support services. Exterior renovations were completed in 2005. The nationally ranked speech and debate team has an office on the second floor of Lawrence and students can receive job training opportunities and learn interview skills in Career Services.
  • McMillan Hall
    Completed in 1964, this building houses the University bookstore, post office, and offices for the IT staff. Exterior renovations were completed in 2005. Everything a student needs, from school supplies and textbooks, to t-shirts and backpacks, are provided by the Barnes and Nobles run store.
  • Mary Ross Building
    An original building constructed in 1920 as a campus hospital, this building now houses faculty offices and conference rooms for the School of Business.
  • Missions Plaza and Tower
    Dedicated in 1994, the Missions Plaza and Tower recall the legacy of William Carey and honor Southern Baptist missionaries, WCU alumni, faculty, staff and students who have served in foreign missions. Renovated in 2004, the Plaza features a bronze work by artist and former WCU art department chair Dr. Arthur Williams entitled “Genesis,” restored in 2009. Engraved bricks featuring the names of missionaries and their countries of service line the walkway surrounded by eight flag poles featuring the flags of countries being served. A lighted bronze cross sits atop the tower.
  • MWC Heritage Plaza
    Dedicated at Homecoming 2007 and honoring the graduates of Mississippi Woman’s College, later William Carey University, the MWC Heritage Plaza features a beautiful lighted water fountain surrounded by flowers, small trees, and concrete benches. Two bronze plaques display a brief history of MWC and honor 1931 MWC alumnus, the late Margaret Lou Hemeter Gillespie of Hattiesburg. Following her death in 2004, her husband and other MWC alumnae contributed financial support to fulfill Gillespie’s wish for a heritage plaza to commemorate the contributions of MWC graduates.
  • Lucile Parker Gallery
    Built in 1990 and located in Thomas Fine Arts Center, the Lucile Parker Gallery is named for the late WCU professor of art emerita whose work in watercolor brought national acclaim. Exhibitions of artists enjoying national or state reputations are scheduled September through May. The University’s permanent collections are exhibited June through August. The gallery, large enough to house a grand piano, hosts recitals, concerts and music workshops throughout the year. The annual Friends of Carey Christmas reception is often held here.
  • Polk Hall
    Originally built in 1962, this dormitory was renovated in 1998 and accommodates 98 male residents.
  • Soccer Fields
    Dedicated in August 2004, the soccer complex features Musco lighting, and includes an official game field, a practice field, and an intramural field. Home to the 2007 GCAC Champion men’s and women’s soccer teams, the soccer fields offer students an opportunity to support their teams in a relaxing atmosphere. Students like to bring lawn chairs or blankets to sit and often a school organization will host a barbeque before a game.
  • The Dumas L. Smith/ I.E. Rouse Library
    The library is a modular designed, single-floor building, which houses print, non-print, and internet media with a computer lab. It was built in 1957 and renovated in 2002. The library offers students some of the most advanced research resources in the world. It is also home to the Clarence Dickinson Music Collection where students can research the “Father of American Church Music,” and other archival rooms.
  • The Lorena Roseberry Smith Hall
    Built in 2004 and housing the department of education, this facility contains faculty offices and eight modern classrooms equipped with state-of-the-art technology. Faculty utilize Promethean and Blackboard technologies to prepare their students for the 21st century classroom.
  • Sarah Ellen Gillespie Museum of Art
    Dedicated in April 2009, the museum houses the most complete collection of art produced by Mississippians in the 20th century. Located adjacent to the library, the collection features more than 600 works by Mississippi artists such as Walter Anderson, Kate Freeman Clark, William Hollingsworth, Theora Hamblett, Karl Wolfe, Wyatt Waters and Ethel Wright Mohamed, among many others. The late Sarah Gillespie, a graduate of Sophie Newcomb College, was a lifelong Hattiesburg resident and long-time patron of the arts. The museum is open Monday through Friday from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. except on university holidays and by appointment by calling 601-318-6148. Old Cobbler Shop, Hackleton, 
  • Student Center
    Located behind the Common Grounds Coffe House, the former facilities building was renovated in 2011 to provide a student center with exercise rooms, game room, TV lounge, and offices for student activities, SGA, and intramural sports.
  • Tatum Court
    Constructed in 1914, this building of colonial design was renovated in 1974 into a facility housing administrative offices, faculty offices, classrooms, and the O. L. Quave Theatre. Additional exterior renovation was completed in 1999 and 2005. In 2004, a Flemish Carillon was installed on the rooftop to commemorate the institution's Jubilee Celebration. The hub of the Hattiesburg campus, Tatum Court is home to the nationally recognized theatre program. Housed on the ground floor of this three and a half story building, the theatre is located where a swimming pool was originally located.
  • Thomas Business Building
    Completed in 1974, this facility contains the Kresge Lecture Room, Glass Room, classrooms and computer labs for the School of Business. Thomas Business Building received grants from The First Bank and Region’s Bank in 2007 and purchased the latest video and audio technology for use in business classes.
  • Thomas Fine Arts Center
    The Fine Arts Center, dedicated in 1966, houses the Donald and Frances Winters School of Music, the Dumas L. Smith Auditorium, and the Lucile Parker Art Gallery. Home to the WCU Chorale, Carpenter’s Wood, and Opera Program, the fine arts center hosts a variety of concerts, recitals and workshops for students as well as the public throughout the year. The 1,002 seat auditorium is also used by the public for various events.
  • Donna Duck Wheeler Alumni House
    A two-story colonial style residence built in 1962 and formerly named the Bentley-Pope House, it was renamed in April 2006 to honor Donna Duck Wheeler, director of alumni for seventeen years and employed for over 40 years. The building houses the offices of external relations, advancement, and alumni relations. Large formal entertainment areas occupy most of the first floor and throughout the year the building hosts a variety of student led meetings and entertainment events including the International Student Christmas Reception and President’s Christmas Coffee.
  • Milton Wheeler Field
    A state-of-the-art baseball complex was dedicated in 2006 and named to honor Milton Wheeler for over forty years of service to the University and as athletic advisor for thirty years. It is part of the Larry W. Kennedy Sport Complex. Wheeler Field honors Dr. Milton Wheeler a professor of history and sports fan at Carey since 1963.
  • Wilkes Hall
    Built in 1967, this building includes a student dining room, a faculty dining room, the Student Conference Center, and the Student Center. Exterior renovations were completed in 2005. Resident and commuter students enjoy Wilkes Hall with its variety of events including church sponsored lunches, cook offs, concerts, games, blood drives, and Homecoming events.