School of Education Admission Requirements
Policies and Procedures
Students need to make application for admission to the professional program in teacher education prior to taking courses in education.
- Students should make application for admission by the end of their sophomore year in college. Transfer students should make application prior to registering for their first trimester of courses at Carey.
- All students enrolled in education must have clearance of criminal background checks prior to participating in clinical activities (field-based practica).
- All student much purchase liability insurance from one of the three following organizations: American Federation of Teachers, Mississippi Association of Educators, or Mississippi Professional Educators.
- TK20 is the School of Education's electronic portfolio. All students must have a Tk20 account.
- All students must be formally admitted before they are permitted to take more than six hours (secondary majors) and nine hours (elementary majors).
Students will be admitted when they meet these requirements for Transition Point One.
- Achieve and maintain an overall grade-point average of 2.75 or better on the teacher education liberal arts core.
- Achieve the required score on PRAXIS I (Pre-Professional Skills Test) which includes all subtests (reading, Writing, and Mathematics). The required scores are set by the Mississippi Department of Education. A student may also meet these tests' requirements with a score of 21 or better on the ACT with no score below an 18 on any subtest.
- Achieve a grade of C or better in English 101 and 102.
- Students need to make application for admission to the professional program in teacher education prior to taking courses in education.