Asbury Academic Building
Constructed in 2018, this building houses classrooms and offices for history and language and literature, as well as the Lucile Parker Gallery.
Bass Hall is a three-story building that accommodates 143 female residents. Built in 1963, the building has a large lounge and a resident manager’s suite. Interior renovation was completed in the summer of 1999, and exterior renovations accomplished in 2006.
Bass Memorial Chapel
Dedicated in 2014, Bass Memorial Chapel provides sacred space for prayer, worship, and small group gatherings. The prayer garden is a place for meditation.
Braswell and Byrd Halls
These twin dormitories were constructed during 2006 and 2007. Each dormitory is comprised of three levels with 89 resident rooms and resident director apartment. Braswell Hall and Byrd Hall share a common lobby with a computer workstation area, TV viewing area, and lounging areas. The resident rooms are suite arrangements with two rooms sharing a semi-private bathroom.
Completed in 1966 and renovated in 1998, this building accommodates 103 male residents.
Campus Facilities Building
Constructed in 2010, this building houses the offices and equipment of the physical facilities department.
This area of the campus was originally dedicated in 1992 in honor of Bobby and Betty Chain. In 2006 the garden was completely renovated by the Bobby L. Chain family to include the six foot bronze statue, “The Risen Christ” and rededicated in memory of the late president Larry Kennedy.
Constructed in 1961, this building includes a gymnasium, offices, and locker rooms. Interior and exterior renovations were completed in 2004 and 2006. The new gym annex was constructed in 2017 to house additional offices and workout facilities.
College of Osteopathic Medicine Academic Building
The first of four buildings in the COM complex was completed in the summer of 2010 and houses two lecture halls, classrooms, study rooms, and a research laboratory. At the entrance to the COM complex is a bronze statue, “The Great Physician,” installed in January 2018.
College of Osteopathic Medicine Medical Arts Building
This building was completed in the fall of 2010 and houses faculty offices, clinical diagnostic and treatment rooms, eight student conference rooms, study areas, and student lounge.
College of Osteopathic Medicine Asbury Administration Center
Completed in the spring of 2011, this building houses administrative offices, faculty offices, and conference rooms.
College of Osteopathic Medicine Randy and Brenda Ross Anatomy Wing
Completed in 2014, the anatomy wing houses the anatomy lab for the WCUCOM. It was rebuilt with a larger footprint following the 2017 tornado.
Created in 1997 from a former carriage house, this facility houses a student-operated coffee house.
This eight-room structure constructed in 1936. It was renovated in 2022, and currently serves as the Alumni House.
The three-story dormitory accommodates 89 residents and a resident director apartment. Completed in 2013, this building is named for Ralph and Cora Joyce Davis, Mississippi Woman’s College alumni and missionaries in Nigeria and Ghana. Davis Hall was the first residence hall on campus with private bathrooms in each room, along with a lobby with computer workstation area, a TV viewing area, and lounges on each floor.
Completed in 2006, this building houses the Museum and Research Collection of the Center for Study of the Life and Work of William Carey, D.D. (1761-1834). It was named after Robert and Dr. Linda Donnell.
Originally completed in 2002, this building contains faculty offices, classrooms, and laboratory facilities for the Joseph and Nancy Fail School of Nursing. An addition to the original building, constructed in 2008, provides additional faculty offices, classrooms, study rooms, and a lecture hall. The building currently houses College of Medicine administrative spaces and classrooms.
This dormitory was constructed in 2018 to replace the original Johnson Hall dormitory (1919-2017) that was destroyed in the January 2017 tornado. The new three story Johnson Hall houses 86 residents and includes a resident director apartment. The rooms are suite arrangements with two adjoining rooms sharing a semi-private bathroom. Johnson Hall also includes lounges on each floor and a guest apartment, and is connected to Ross Hall by a common lobby.
Joseph and Nancy Fail Softball Field
Dedicated in 2007, the state-of-the-art field is named to honor the Fails, longtime friends and trustees of the university.
This 1970 facility houses the School of Education. The building has office suites for faculty members, classrooms, and a well equipped curriculum laboratory.
This three-story dormitory shares a lobby with the neighboring Davis Hall dormitory and was completed in 2015. The building houses approximately 100 residents in 50 rooms, each with a private bathroom, as well as a resident director apartment. The building also shares a lobby with Davis Hall, featuring a computer workstation area, a TV viewing area, and lounges on each floor.
Robert M. Gillespie Batting Facility
Completed in 2011, the batting facility provides indoor space for baseball and softball batting practice and houses baseball and softball locker rooms.
This residence hall was constructed in 2018 to replace the original Ross Hall dormitory (1919-2017) that was destroyed in the January 2017 tornado. The new three story Ross Hall houses 86 residents and includes a resident director apartment. The rooms are suite arrangements with two adjoining rooms sharing a semi-private bathroom. Ross Hall also includes lounges on each floor and a guest apartment, and is connected to Johnson Hall by a common lobby.
Sarah Ellen Gillespie Museum of Art
Dedicated in 2009, the museum houses more than 600 works by Mississippi artists collected by Ms. Gillespie over six decades. It is the most complete collection in existence of 20th century art works by Mississippians. The museum also hosts special exhibits and related cultural programming. It is located in a wing of Smith/Rouse Library.
Sarah Ellen Gillespie Nature Reserve and Bird Sanctuary
A bequest of land and cash from the estate of Miss Gillespie made it possible for the university to create an on-campus nature reserve and bird sanctuary in 2010. This nine-acre natural space provides an outdoor laboratory for the study of botany and environmental science as well as a space for meditation and reflection.
Green Science Hall
The one-story portion of Green Science Hall accommodates chemistry and physics curricula. The two-story section houses Ross Lecture Hall, student study and work areas, laboratories, offices, and classrooms for the departments of biology, mathematics, and psychology. The building was constructed in 1958 and renovated in 2003 and 2005. A new annex was constructed in 2017 to house three biology labs and five faculty offices, and an elevator.
The Jackson-Williams Garden was dedicated in March 2015 to honor the first two African-American students to enter Carey in August 1965: Vermester Jackson Bester and Linda Williams Cross.
Jack Jones Field House
Built in 2011 and further expanded in 2013, the field house provides locker rooms for the men and women’s soccer teams and men and women’s tennis teams as well as concession space.
Larry W. Kennedy Sports Complex
Dedicated in 2007 in memory of the late president, the complex houses the Milton Wheeler Baseball Field, the Joseph and Nancy Fail Softball Field, the soccer fields, intramural field, and jogging track. The Robert N. Gillespie indoor batting facility was completed in 2011. A new tennis complex and the Jack Jones Field House to serve soccer and tennis players were also completed in 2011.
Lawrence Hall, built in 1954, provides offices, classrooms, and conference space for the departments of biblical studies and philosophy, Christian ministries, Holloway Center for Bivocational Ministry, The Owen and Elizabeth Cooper Institute of Missions, student support services, housing, English Language Center, and other offices. External 23 renovations were completed in 2005 and interior renovations were done in 2009. The south-west wing was renovated again late 2022 to house the Office of Admissions.
Constructed in 1964, this building underwent a major expansion and renovation in 2012. It houses the university bookstore, post office, and the Office of Information Technology.
Missions Plaza and Tower
Dedicated in 1994, and prominently located in front of Wilkes Hall, the Marjorie and Earl Kelly Missions Plaza and the Estelle Willis Missions Tower recall the legacy of William Carey and honor Southern Baptist missionaries, William Carey University alumni, faculty, staff, and students in foreign missions service. Gifts of Joseph and Nancy Fail made construction possible. The bronze sculpture Genesis by Dr. Arthur Williams was installed under the tower in 1993. Dr. Williams served as chair of the art department at Carey on the Coast.
Built after the tornado in 2017, this building provided academic and office space, and currently houses music practice rooms and the band hall.
Old Cobbler Shop, Hackelton, Student Fitness Center
(William Carey was apprenticed to Thomas Old, the shoemaker of Hackleton, who taught him the trade and introduced him to his wife.) The former facilities building was renovated in 2011 to provide a student center with exercise rooms, game room, TV lounge, and offices for student activities, SGA, and intramural sports.
Lucile Parker Gallery
Built in 1990 and relocated to 512 Tuscan Avenue in 2013, the gallery houses four collections: the William Carey Collection, the Lucile Parker Collection, the Larry H. Day Collection, and the Brian Blair Collection. The 512 Tuscan building was destroyed in the tornado of 2017; however, the Parker collection was saved and is housed in the Asbury Academic Building
Originally built in 1962, this dormitory was renovated in 1998 and accommodates 94 male residents.
Mary Ross Building
Constructed in 1920 for a campus hospital, this building houses faculty offices for the Doctor of Physical Therapy program and an osteopathic manipulative treatment clinic operated by the College of Osteopathic Medicine. The exterior of the building was renovated in 2005 and the interior renovated in 2014.
Penton Street Apartments
This two-story building and attached wing, purchased by the university and fully renovated in 2014, and again in 2022, contains ten apartments and houses male students.
School of Business Building
This state-of-the-art two-story building, completed in 2014, includes a reception area, two lecture halls on the first floor, classrooms and a computer lab on the second floor, along with faculty and staff offices, study areas, a kitchen, lounges, and conference room.
Jack and Carol Simmons Exercise Track
The Jack and Carol Simmons Exercise Track was dedicated in December 2007. The half mile track is designed for walkers and joggers.
The I.E. Rouse Library
The I.E. Rouse Library, which was built in 1957 and renovated in 2002 and 2009, serves as the headquarters branch for the William Carey University Libraries. The Rouse Library houses books, music scores, DVD, and CD while also providing access to WCU Libraries’ electronic resources. Rouse Library provides a computer lab, wireless Internet access, a classroom, and three group study rooms for two to six persons. The Clarence Dickinson Collection, a special collection devoted to church music, the Sarah Ellen Gillespie Museum of Art, the Frances Winters Hymnology Collection, and the university archives are also located in Rouse Library. The bronze statue of William Carey, titled “Carey Turns to the World,” is located in front of the Sarah Ellen Gillespie Museum of Art adjacent to I.E. Rouse Library
The Lorena Roseberry Smith Hall
Built in 2004, this education facility contains faculty offices and eight classrooms, equipped with state-of-the-art technology. An addition was added in 2019 connecting Smith and Fairchild Halls, and adding nine additional offices.
The soccer complex featuring Musco Sports lighting was dedicated in August 2004 and includes an official game field, a practice field, and an intramural field. The Jack and Carol Simmons fitness track was added during 2007 to provide a safe area for jogging and walking. In 2013 soccer facilities were expanded, and permanent seating was added for spectators.
The administrative building was completed in summer 2019, and replaced the original Tatum Court (1914-2017). The new Tatum Court sits at the entrance to campus and is architecturally reminiscent of its predecessor. A large third floor event space and an expansive lobby with a grand staircase and an 8-foot European crystal chandelier are also features of the building.
The Joe and Virginia Tatum Theatre
Constructed in 2010, the name honors the Tatums, longtime supporters of the university. The facility includes a black box performance space, a spacious serving room for Carey Dinner Theatre, and catwalks for the lighting and sound crew. Behind the Scenes, a Thespian mask sculpture by Jeremy Thomley, was installed in front of the theatre in 2013. The sculpture was made possible by a generous gift from Trustee and Mrs. Robert Addison in memory of Dr. J. Ralph Noonkester, President 1956-1989. The Theatre Annex was completed in 2018 and added more than 6,000 square feet to the existing theatre. It also replaced the classroom and lab space previously housed in the original Tatum Court.
Completed in 1974, this facility houses faculty offices and classrooms for the College of Medicine.
Thomas Hall (Fine Arts Center)
Dedicated in 1966, this building houses the Donald and Frances Winters School of Music and Ministry Studies and the 1,159-seat Auditorium. The 1,000 piece metal sculpture Perihelion, designed by Jason Kimes, was installed in front of Thomas Hall in 2012.
Ben Waddle Athletic Facility
A volleyball field house and adjacent track and field complex were built in 2017.
Donna Duck Wheeler Alumni House
A two-story colonial style residence built in 1962 and formerly named the Bentley-Pope House, was renamed in April 2006 to honor Donna Duck Wheeler, alumni director for 17 years. This facility is scheduled for renovation in 2023. It is planned to be returned to original use as the University Presidents Home.
Milton Wheeler Field
A state-of-the-art baseball field was dedicated in 2006 and named to honor Dr. Milton Wheeler for his four decades of service to the university and as athletic advisor for over 30 years.
Wilkes Dining Hall
Built in 1967, this building includes a student dining room, a faculty dining room, a private dining room, and a conference center. Exterior renovations were completed in 2005, and other interior renovations were completed in 2012 to include a new board room and a president’s meeting room.
William Carey Statue
The 600-pound bronze statue of William Carey was dedicated in November 2011 in celebration of the 250-year legacy of the Father of Modern Missions, the university namesake. The seven-foot tall stature is titled “Carey Turns to the World” and was crafted by Ben Watts. It is located in front of the Sarah Ellen Gillespie Museum.