Items Added to Existing Pages
Memorabilia Page and Philately and Numismatics Page
Baptist Church, Cannon Street, Birmingham, England
Struck in 1837 to commemorate the centenary of Cannon Street Church, the obverse of this medal portrays the facade of the church. Beneath the church is the inscription, "THE FIRST BUILDING ERECTED 1738/ ENLARGED 1763 AND 1780/ PRESENT EDIFICE ERECTED 1806". Around the church building are the words "BAPTIST MEETING HOUSE CANNON STREET BIRMINGHAM/DIMENSIONS 70 FEET BY 45 FEET".
The reverse side of the medal displays in a circle at the edge "THE FIRST PARTICULAR BAPTIST CHURCH IN BIRMINGHAM/ FORMED IN HIGH STREET, AUGUST 24, 1837". The central portion of the reverse reads "THIS MEDAL COMMEMORATES THE FIRST CENTENARY OF THE BAPTIST CHURCH, CANNON St BIRMINGHAM, AUGUST 24, 1837/ NUMBER OF MEMBERS AT THE FORMATION OF THE CHURCH SEVENTEEN. PRESENT NUMBER OF MEMBERS 742./ PASTOR, THE REVd THOMAS SWAN./ DEACONS, OWEN JOHNSON. JAMES ROOM. JAMES C. PERRY. WILLm WILLCOX. JOHN WHITEHOUSE.S[.]HOWELL./ NOT UNTO US, O LORD, NOT UNTO US, BUT UNTO THY NAME GIVE GLORY. PSALM 115. V 1.
[added: April 1, 2002]
William Carey Medal, 1841
This 44mm white medal, by the Birmingham medallist J. Davis, displays Carey wearing a frock coat. The reverse reads around the edge "Expect Great Things from God. Attempt Great Things for God. In the center of the reverse is "Baptist Mission/Formed Octr 2d 1792/Commenced in E. Indies 1793/W. Indies 1813 W. Africa 1840/Stations 157 Missionaries 71/Teachers & Native Preachers 127/Members Upwards of 30,000/Scholars About 18,000/Scriptures Translated into/40 Languages & Dialects/Copies Issued in the /Year 1841 85,000/Slavery Abolished/Augt 1st 1838." The medal has been pierced in order to be worn, retains the original suspension rings, and is in “extremely fine” condition.
[added: April 16, 2002]
Carey Center Home Page
Created: April 2, 2000 Updated: April 23, 2002