In order to be considered for undergraduate admission, all applicants must meet the following requirements and submit the necessary documentation:

  • Complete the application for undergraduate admissions
  • Pay a $40 non-refundable application fee.
  • Send proof of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) immunizations (must have had two MMR shots in your lifetime)
  • Send an official ACT or SAT score
  • Send an official high school transcript
  • If you have taken college courses while in high school, contact the college and request an official transcript be sent to William Carey University Admissions

The university solicits applications from transfer students from junior or community colleges, senior colleges, or universities. Students must possess a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale on all college work previously attempted and be in academic good standing from the last institution attended. For students with fewer than 12 transfer hours, requirements for first-time freshmen students must be met.

An applicant who already has college level work must also submit a complete and official academic transcript from each college previously attended. An official transcript is defined as one sent directly from one institution to another. It bears the institution's seal, the signature of the registrar, and the date of issuance.

A former William Carey University student (one who was not registered during the preceding trimester) must submit a completed application for readmission to the Office of Admissions. The applicant for readmission should meet the minimum academic standards required of current students. Those not meeting minimum academic requirements are evaluated for admission by the admissions committee. All decisions of the admissions committee are subject to appeal. A student who has been out of school only during the summer does not need to apply for readmission.

If a student wishes to complete certain undergraduate courses and not pursue a degree, the admissions committee may grant that person non-degree status provided the applicant submits the following:

  • Proof of high school graduation or the equivalent (GED).
  • Proof of eligibility to return to the last school attended by means of an official transcript.
  • A $40 nonrefundable application fee.
  • Documented proof of two immunizations for measles and rubella if born on or after January 1, 1957, or one immunization in the last ten years.
  • Certification that the student is not under suspension from any college or university. A student found guilty of nondisclosure or misrepresentation in filling out the registration form, or students who find after enrollment that they are ineligible for academic or any other reason to return to the last institution and who fail to report this immediately to the Office of Admissions, will be subject to disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the college.

A student registered in non-degree status is subject to all university regulations governing registration, attendance, and academic standing. Credit earned in non-degree status is recorded on the student's permanent record and may be applied in an undergraduate degree program when the student has satisfactorily established degree status by meeting entrance requirements to the college.

Non-degree status students are not eligible for Federal financial aid.

First-time freshmen students with an ACT composite score of 16-19 may qualify for admission to the Free Throw program to gain regular admission with free tuition for the first 12 hours. Students must maintain a 2.5 GPA on 12 hours taken over their first (summer and fall) term or first term of enrollment.

Upon completion of the 12 Free Throw hours, students must then apply for regular admission to WCU and may qualify for scholarships based on the GPA in those 12 hours. (Only the William Carey GPA will be used for determining scholarships.) Free Throw students may be eligible to take up to 12 hours at another college or university for transfer back to William Carey, but only after completing 30 hours at William Carey University (including the 12 Free Throw hours).

To request permission to take courses at another institution, the student must submit a request for a Letter of Good Standing to the Office of Academic Affairs. The student must have a Letter of Good Standing prior to enrolling in another college or university. Students who transfer to complete a degree at another college or university must pay tuition on the 12 Free Throw hours at the current rate at the time of transfer.

For more information, please contact the Admissions Office.

Free Throw Application

High school students who desire to take college courses for credit may participate in the Step-Ahead program. Step-Ahead is designed as a dual enrollment program for students who are enrolled in honor classes for which college credit equivalency has been established.


  • Student must have a minimum ACT score of 20 or SAT score of 950
  • Must receive approval from high school counselor or administrator
  • Students wishing to take College Algebra (MAT 131) or Trigonometry (MAT 142) must have ACT subscores of 20 or higher; Pre-Calculus (MAT 150) must have ACT subscores of 25 or higher; Calculus with Analytic Geometry (MAT 151) must have ACT subscores of 26 as well as Calculus I and Statistics
  • A high school transcript and ACT scores must accompany your registration form

To register, please contact the Admissions Office.