What is the D.O. symbol and what does it represent?
- D.O. is the professional abbreviation for Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. The D.O. symbol is called the Staff of Aesclepius (often spelled Aesculapius) and consists of a single serpent encircling a staff, or classically a rough-hewn knotty tree limb. The staff was named after a skilled physician who practiced in Greece around 1200 BC. The term can also be found in Homer's Iliad. Aesclepius is commonly referred to as the Greek god of Healing.
What does the crusader shield represent?
- The crusader shield is a representation of William Carey University’s motto “Expect Great Things From God; Attempt Great Things For God.”
What does the heart represent?
- The heart represents the compassion that is needed to be a successful doctor of osteopathic medicine.
What does the lamp represent?
- The lamp is representative of academics and the knowledge it will take to become a successful doctor of osteopathic medicine.
What does the stethoscope represent?
- The stethoscope represents the scientific methodology and the use of current clinical diagnostic technology.
What does the hand represent?
- The hand represents the human touch. Osteopathic physicians use their hands for diagnosis and treatment of their patients.
What do the numbers 1892 and 2010 represent?
- 1892 was the year the predecessors of William Carey University was founded (South Mississippi College, 1911 Mississippi Women’s College, 1954 William Carey College, and 2006 William Carey University).
- 2010 was the year the first class of William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine matriculated.
What do the colors red, black, and white represent?
- Red, black, and white are William Carey University’s colors; as a part of the university, the College of Osteopathic Medicine has adopted its colors.
What does the circle represent?
- The circle represents the care of the whole person – body, mind, and spirit.
- The circle also represents the comprehensive nature of the osteopathic medical education. William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine graduates will be known for their competence, confidence, and compassion.