NCTQ Standard 6 - Common Core Elementary Content
The program ensures that teacher candidates have the broad content preparation necessary to successfully teach to the Common Core State Standards.
Standard applies to: Elementary Education.
Indicators that the program meets the standard:
6.1 At the undergraduate level, the institution:
Requires candidates to take at least one course in each topic from each of the subject areas listed below.
- All coursework except children's literature should only be taught in liberal arts departments.
- Course content must be broad enough to give candidates the knowledge base to teach the elementary curriculum.
Exempts candidates from specific course requirements on the basis of standardized assessments commonly recognized as demonstrating content mastery at the level provided by post-secondary or rigorous secondary instruction.
Subject A: Literature and Composition
- Topic (1): World literature ENG 211, ENG 212
- Topic (2): American literature ENG 303
- Topic (3): Writing, grammar and composition ENG 101, ENG 102. ENG 308, ENG 300, ENG 409
- Topic (4): Children's literature EDR 344
Subject B: History and geography
- Topic (1): Early American history HIS 201
- Topic (2): Modern American history/government HIS 202, PSC 201
- Topic (3): World history - modern HIS 102
- Topic (4): World history - ancient HIS 101
- Topic (5): Geography - HIS 369
Subject C: Science (at least one course with lab)
- Topic (1): Biology BIO 101
- Topic (2): Chemistry CHE 101
- Topic (3): Physics/physical science PHY 101, PHS 151, PHS 201
Subject D: Fine Arts
- Topic (1): Music history MHL 101
- Topic (2): Art history ART 200
Elementary Mathematics (See Standard Five)
- Topic (1): Algebra MAT 131
- Topic (2): Numbers and Operations MAT 116
- Topic (3): Geometry MAT
- Topic (4): Data Analysis
6.2 For undergraduate programs, the teacher candidate completes an 18 credit hour concentration in a subject area relevant to the elementary curriculum:
- Social Studies
6.4 STRONG DESIGN
A program will earn a "strong design" designation if coursework:
- fulfills two or four topic requirements in Literature and Composition,
- three to five in History and Geography,
- two to three (with at least one lab) in Science,
- one to two in Fine Arts