The new church of St John's was not completed until 1786. It had been funded by lotteries, confiscations and donations received contrary to law. The land was donated by a Hindu. It became the state church, with official chairs for the Governor-General and his suite, and velvet covered chairs for the judges and Members of Council.
John Clark Marshman, 1859.