Admission to the School of Nursing
Thank you for your interest in the Joseph and Nancy Fail School of Nursing at William Carey University. We hope the following information is helpful to you. Feel free to contact us with any questions or to see a nursing advisor.
- Admission to William Carey University does not mean that the student has been admitted to the School of Nursing. Admission to the School of Nursing is a separate admission process.
- The School of Nursing operates in accordance with requirements of state and national accreditation bodies. Planning related to curriculum, course scheduling, and staffing are made with consideration being given to these requirements. Admission is competitive for the designated number of students who can be accepted.
- Students for the pre-licensure program are admitted in the Fall and Spring trimesters. All prerequisite courses do not have to be completed prior to application, but the student must have successfully completed required pre-requisite courses prior to starting the nursing major.
- William Carey University has the pre-licensure BSN program on two campuses. However, students are only permitted to apply to one campus program. Once admitted to the nursing program on one campus, all nursing courses must be taken on that campus.
- Admission to nursing is competitive and is based on:
Pre-admission exam score ATI TEAS (minimum composite score 67). Students take the TEAS exam on the Hattiesburg or Tradition campus. Prior to taking the exam, applicants must create a new account at www.atitesting.com which will give you a user name and password. You must have this information in order to login and take the ATI TEAS. Please do not register for ATI TEAS online. Practice exams can be purchased at www.atitesting.com/onlinestore.
- The test is offered at each campus twice yearly, by appointment, with dates for testing posted on each campus. The cost is $60 payable at the Business Office.
- The receipt of payment and a photo ID are required for admission to the exam.
The exam consists of four sections:
- Reading Comprehension (42 test items/58 minutes)
- Math (30 test items/51 minutes) - No calculators allowed
- Science (48 test item/66 minutes)
- English & Language Usage (30 test items/34 minutes)
*The composite score is included in the compilation of information used to determine admission to the School of Nursing.
- The exam can be taken a total of three times at six-month intervals.
- We will accept official ATI TEAS test results from designated testing sites. However, these tests do count toward the total of the three allowed. (ATI TEAS tests are only allowed at six month intervals)
- If the ATI TEAS exam is taken at another site, an official score report must be submitted to the SON by the last date that the ATI TEAS is offered at WCU for the designated admission period.
- Interested students should review the section on the ATI TEAS prep course. (See the TEAS prep course tab for further information.)
- GPA – Minimum of 2.75 in the courses counting toward the BSN degree is required for consideration for admission. Any previous failures are counted into the GPA.
- Hours taken at William Carey University are considered in the application process.
- Any student with two or more D’s or F’s in the same course or a combination of D’s or F’s in two courses are not eligible for admission to the nursing program. This rule pertains to BIO 234, BIO 235, BIO 260, BIO 306, CHE 101, and HEA 240.
Previous Failures and Transfer students:
- Please refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for information regarding previous nursing failures and transfers from other Schools of Nursing.
- Clear Criminal Background Check
- Compliance with all health requirements
- Drug Testing
See current catalog section Requirements for all Degrees for additional information.