The City of Hattiesburg presented a resolution on Oct. 18 recognizing William Carey University’s presence in Hattiesburg for 110 years. The school traces its beginning to the Pearl River Boarding School, which opened in 1892 in Poplarville. Following a fire in 1905, the school moved to Hattiesburg and reopened in 1906 with the new name South Mississippi College. Over the years, the university underwent other name changes including Mississippi Woman’s College (1911-1954) and William Carey College (1954-2006). In 2006 the status of the institution was changed from college to university to honor its growth and enhance its potential in an increasingly global environment, thus the name was officially changed to William Carey University.
Come to Carey's annual hanging-of-the-greens service featuring music from Chapel Choir, Concert Band, Handbell Ensemble, and Guitar Ensemble.
Thomas Fine Arts Building